Wednesday 10 December 2014

Review of The Iron Queen

The Iron Queen
(The Iron Fey #3)
By Julie Kagawa
About:
My name is Meghan Chase.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.
Source: Goodreads
 
 
Rating: 4.8/5
 
My Thoughts:
Can you believe that the third story in The Iron Fey series is more affecting than the others? I was almost drawn to tears at the end! The Nevernever is dying at an alarming rate, whilst the iron realm prospers. Meghan might have killed Machina but the false Iron King has proclaimed war on both Summer and Winter courts. However, he needs the powers that passed to Meghan in order to be completely successful.

Forced by the dire circumstances, King Oberon and Queen Mab have agreed to lift Meghan, Ash and Puck's exiles from the Nevernever if Meghan destroys the false king. Although Meghan thought she was finally going back to her normal life (albeit with a faerie boyfriend) she's dragged back into the magical world of fey for another dangerous adventure.

We see Meghan trying and failing to wield her Summer and Iron glamours (powers) and her constant worries over the land of the fey, because as the Nevernever dies, so do the faeries within it. She might consider herself to be a human and wish for things to return to normal, but the fact remains that she belongs to this new world and her heart is set on some of the beings in it.

Grim is back with a vengeance! Yay! And there are crazier characters to accompany him, like Razor the eccentric gremlin. The gremlins remind me of the houselves from HP, slaves of the iron master. Ironhorse died in the last book, but I was glad to see his 'spirit' again, which was sweet but a leeetle creepy.

Puck is around as always, as is Ash, but the character that showed the most change and strength was of course Meghan. In Iron Queen she realises that she can only expect the boys to protect her for so long. In the end she needs to learn how to fight, and I enjoyed seeing how she takes charge of her situation and makes her own decisions despite being the half breed in a strange land. Ash’s belief in her is inspiring, and if I was unsure about being Team Ash before, there is no doubt now!

Now for the heartbreak... We all knew it was a love that wasn't meant to be, but having it confirmed is far worse. I won't spoil it too much but I hope Ash keeps his promise!
Zed (: 
Favourite Quotes:
Summer and Winter were supposed to be enemies. We were not supposed to cooperate, we were not supposed to go on quests together and, most important, we were not supposed to fall in love.
"I'm just giving you a friendly warning, I thought, hey, she's killed the Iron bastards before. She might want to do it again."   [weird one-eyed dude]
"I don't see how you mortals do it, these feelings you must endure. They will ruin you, in the end..."   [Puck]
"You are beautiful, you know that, right?" he murmured, all seriousness, one hand gently framing my cheek. "I know I don't say...things like that...as often as I should. I wanted to let you know."   [Ash *sigh*]

 
"Come on, Meghan. A little faith, please?" He crossed his arms and gave me an annoyed look. "You're writing us off before we even get started. Me and ice-boy both. I've been around a long time, I intend to be around awhile longer."   [Puck]

I couldn't let him go. Gods forgive me if I was being selfish, but I wanted nothing more than to stay with him forever.   [Meghan]

Oh, of course, I thought, as my gut twisted and sank down to my toes. This impossible situation also comes with a time limit. No pressure.

"Isn't it traditional to celebrate after you win?"
"And what if there is no tomorrow?"
Great, now the cat was made at me. Knowing Grimalkin, I'd have to beg and plead for him to tell us what he knew, or offer up my firstborn son or something.
"Rats? Giant iron rats? Oh, thank goodness, that's so much better than spiders."   [Puck]
"For the record," Grimalkin stated as we ventured, single file, into the black, "I do not think this is a good idea/ But, as no one listens to the cat anymore, I will have to wait until we are completely lost to say 'I told you so.'"
Puck winced. "Ouch. Well, you know what they say-you always hurt the one you love. Or is that the one you hate? I can never remember."
"Why do you think I brought you that creature, human? To keep up my stalking skills? I assure you, they are quite adequate already. Please attempt to use the brain I know is hidden somewhere in that head..."   [Grim]
"Do try to stay out of trouble, human. I will be terribly annoyed if you manage to get yourself killed."   [Grim]
"I love you, Meghan Chase," he murmured against my skin. "For the rest of my life, however long we have left. I'll consider it an honor to die beside you."   [Ash]

No comments:

Post a Comment